enable F5 / Refresh for row count

Feature requests and their debate

enable F5 / Refresh for row count

Postby steff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am

I could not find a possibility to refresh the row count indication in table properties / Information / General.

It woul be quite helpful to have "Refresh selected items" working on this information
steff

Re: enable F5 / Refresh for row count

Postby Serge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:47 am

You may refresh any part of navigator tree or any editor using refresh (F5) command.
Row count property refreshed as all other table properties.

Note: if you use Oracle then row count is taken from table statistics and it may be empty or contain outdated value.
For MySQL it is approximatelly value (calculated by server from average row size and table data size) so it may differ from exact table row count.
Serge

Postby steff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

yes, I am using Oracle and have noticed that rowCount does not change.

I was really impressed by the speed that dbeaver gets this information ;)

Any chance to have another easy way to ask for the exact row count from the table view?
Of course, you can always use SQL ... but I would appreciate a more direct way
steff

Postby Serge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Generic driver counts this value by executing SQL "select count(*) from table". It always returns actual value but it may take too much of database server resources. In case of really big tables you may literally kill your server by just opening schema table list. So I decided to use very fast but unaccurate way to get row count in Oracle.
I can add some run-time calculated row count property which will be shown only in table editor (and won't be visible in table list). So Oracle will have 2 row count properties. If you have any other ideas please tell ;)
Serge

Postby steff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

I agree, that it may consume too much resources if dbeaver does it always.

For my requirements, it would be best to have it in a way comparable to dbvisualizer: maybe another tab besides "Properties", "Data", "Diagram" that you can select and that executes a select count(*) when refresh is pressed.

BTW:

DBeaver is a great piece of work - thank you for that!
steff

Return to Feature Requests