Several resultsets tabbed

Feature requests and their debate

Several resultsets tabbed

Postby davidf.76 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 am

Hi again,
Sometimes we execute the same query changing parameters, and it would be nice comparing between results. If each sql execution put the resultset in a tab, and could move between tabs with shortcut keys, we wouldn't need re-execute them.

Thanks!!
davidf.76

Re: Several resultsets tabbed

Postby Serge » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Isn't it the same as opening multiple SQL editors (CTRL+ALT+L) for a single database?
We can make some kind of tabbed resultset but I'm afraid it can be confusing. It maybe not clear when to add new tab, which tab corresponds to what SQL query, etc.

Probably it's the issue for discussion..
Serge

Postby davidf.76 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am

Yes it's true.

But sometimes you have several queries in the same editor. I think the best solution could be an option like "Execute in new SQL Editor", and copy the selected text in current editor (the query), and open a new sql editor windows, paste it and execute in one step.
davidf.76

Postby beat-x » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:44 pm

I would suggest to use a mechanism similar to Eclipse's search result view:
- Initially there is one result view that is re-used every time a query is executed.
- If you want to keep the result, "pin" it.
- Further queries open a new results view (than can also be pinned, and so on...)

I think that would require to move the result grid out of the editor view into a view of its own, but that is actually quite handy if you want to maximize the editor using Ctrl+M, as the data grid currently cannot be hidden!
beat-x

Postby Serge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi,

I'll think about "pinning" results, looks like a good idea, thanks! But I have to do something with other tabs (explain plan and sql log) to avoid mess of different tabs.

But I don't like idea to move resultset into separate view. Now each SQL/table editor has it's own results and it is quite convenient to switch between them without any additional UI manipulations. But maybe some kind of grid "undocking" could work..
Also we can add function to hide/show results in SQL editor. Something similar to switching between record/grid mode.
Serge

Postby beat-x » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:02 pm

beat-x

Return to Feature Requests