QueryManager field and Query Diff

Feature requests and their debate

QueryManager field and Query Diff

Postby amosmoss » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:32 am

Hi,

Couple of things I thought would be really nice:
1. Add connection name to the Query Manager view
2. Finding differences between two queries, possibly from different sources.

BTW,
Do you have any idea when the script management version will be? I really have difficulty finding my hands and legs now :|

Thanks, Amos.
amosmoss

Re: QueryManager field and Query Diff

Postby Serge » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Hey,

1. Yes, it makes sense. I'll try to include this feature in the next version.
2. Could you explain it a little bit more? What kind of queries and how they can be compared? Do you mean compare result sets or query structure or something else.
3. What do you mean under script management? Currently I'm working on search functions refactoring and improvemnt, it is very likely that next version will be able to search in scripts. But no other improvements are planned at the moment.

Thanks
Serge

Postby amosmoss » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Hello Serge,

2. I had built a python tool that takes specified queries from a configuration file, run each query on two given DB sources. For every query, the result set for the two DB's is compared. I print the number of records that match and differ, and if there are differences, I output two files with the differences (and surrounding few matching records). When these two are compared in a comparison tool (I use beyond compare), the differences are shown.

Why bother to do all these? Well, I wanted to create a regression test tool that will allow performing queries on different versions (Test DB and Production DB) to see the differences. Then I thought that such functionality is needed usually in DB's. Not the whole thing, but only query result set comparison. I guess there are more than a few opensource tools that displays differences between datasets (and the ways to make them equal).

I also use it to find out schema differences (like privileges, views etc) using catalog system tables.
The tool finds out missing fields in each result set and ignores them, so I guess the structure diff is also needed.

3. Let me summarize the things that I think could help to navigate between scripts (some already suggested):
- Whenever one presses on the New SQL Editor button, the user is requested to give it a name (the default could stay as it is).
- Whenever creating a new connection, the user can assign a special color it it (besides the connection types). This color will be the tab color for each of the connection's open editors. This will allow a quick differentiation between the editors assigned to data sources. The scripts in the project navigation tab could also be colored accordingly.
- In the Scripts navigation panel, if the scripts are not written to a data source library, an option to sort the scripts by their data source will greatly increase the selection of the desires ones.
- A quick (shortcut key) editors selection box would help a lot when a lot of them are open.
- Of course the script searching will be of great use to me :)
I know there are a lot of things that I suggest, but that's because I still have difficulties in managing my scripts...

Once again, great tool, great features. I have experience with several DB tools so far, and this one is the best so far :)
amosmoss

Postby Serge » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 am

Serge

Postby amosmoss » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm

amosmoss

Return to Feature Requests