Sql Editor Word Wrap

Feature requests and their debate

Sql Editor Word Wrap

Postby chadical » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Greets-

Love DBeaver, recommend it to many. Robust, easy to use, highly configurable.

Though, after searching forums, settings, etc - It appears the SQL Editor does not have a standard "word wrap" feature.

I am aware of the Format SQL feature which is great, but it does not fit into our workflow and sql formatting standards for various projects.

The business case:
When developing sql for complex scripts and etl's, our final product is usually plugged into our source code in a condensed format where we end up with very long lines - which is what we want as the core editor we use is Sublime Text - and word wrapping long sql lines works fine for us when viewing source.

The request:
Word Wrap for long lines in SQL Editor. Preferably with a Auto Column Wrap feature, meaning wrap it based on the window width.
AKA, No horizontal scroll bar.

Regards,
Chad
chadical

Re: Sql Editor Word Wrap

Postby Serge » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello,

I've just checked state of Eclipse feature request (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=35779) . Hooray, finally we have a solution (some guys waited for it for almost 10 years ;) )
Word wrap will be added in the next version.
Thanks for reminding about this feature!
Serge

Postby chadical » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Ahhh, I love it. I see you've released it already as well.

Thank You Serge.
and Thank You universe ;-)

-chad
chadical

Postby chadical » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey Serge-

I downloaded the Windows 64 bit archive version...
A few things:

A> The Word Wrap feature is pretty buried. There are no menu items or context menu items associated with it.
I did eventually find it in the default keyboard shortcut mappings as Ctrl-Shift-E.
It would be nice for future users to have a right-click toggle in the editor context menu and also a button on the toolbar.

B>The version of the org.eclipse.jface.text included in the archive ( org.eclipse.jface.text_3.8.2.v20121126-164145 ) is outdated, and seems buggy. The first word-wrap I did was on some sql and it was not wrapping lines correctly.
I perused the comments on and found a link to this , and then another link to the "word wrap plugin project website" for installation: .
From there I found a download link for a more recent version of the jface.text plugin for Juno 4.2, which is version org.eclipse.jface.text_3.8.100.201302281748.jar - and can be downloaded here: .
Once I dropped that Jar into the plugins dir and restarted DBeaver, the word-wrap is functioning better.

Thx again!
chadical

Postby Serge » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for your investigation of this problem!

Generally I'm going to migrate to Eclipse 4.2.3 version in one of nearest DBeaver versions. Thus jface.text plugin will be updated too.
And I'll improve word-wrap right after it.
Serge

Return to Feature Requests