Basic DDL display

Feature requests and their debate

Basic DDL display

Postby mhd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 am

mhd

Re: Basic DDL display

Postby Serge » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Hello,

I agree, DDL for Oracle is too redundant. For general purposes more brief form without storage information is more preferable.
But from the other hand full DDL may be usefull for some people. I think that providing DDL in both formats will be the best solution.
However I'm not sure how can UI be implemented to be obvious and convenient..
Maybe you have some ideas?
Serge

Postby mhd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:38 am

Not sure whether hiding something away in the configuration option would be obvious enough, so I'd just conditionally display a second DDL tab.

The main offender here is Oracle, although by default MySQL has some pretty ugly quoting in its "SHOW CREATE TABLE" output, so maybe it wouldn't hurt having a cleaned up version of that, too. So "DDL" would show a clean version, to give an overview or have a good foundation for copying it into an SQL editor, and then a "original/native DDL" tab with the full info provided by the database.

Maybe with an option to hide it, but I'd definitely leave it on by default. At least for Oracle that storage information is highly distracting.
mhd

Postby Serge » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 pm

I think I'll just add some kind of switcher between brief and full DDL right in the DDL page toolbar.
I'm not sure that I'd have to do it in the next version. Most likely version 2.2.3 will have this feature.

Thanks
Serge

Return to Feature Requests