Navigating multiple tabs and result sets

Feature requests and their debate

Navigating multiple tabs and result sets

Postby amosmoss » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:30 am

Hello,

I've been using this great app for more than 6 months, and I have some ideas how to make navigating the tabs and result sets much more easier.
The main issue with the current situation, I think, is that the tabs look quick the same in first glance. In addition, if there are too many tabs open, their full names are not visible. So, here's what i though of:

1. Setting different colors for different connections (besides connection type colors) and setting the tab colors accordingly.
2. Optionally, move the open tabs list to the side (so there is more space for the whole tab description).
3. Fast tab navigation. Setting a number for each tab, and using a keyboard shortcut (like ALT-i, to move to tab i).

And Two other non related suggestions:
4. double-clicking on the Data Grid tab will maximize the result set window.
5. quick search box, that filters during writing all records that contain cells with values that contain the search term. The MySQL Workbench has this extremely useful feature.

Thanks, and keep on the great work.
Amos.
amosmoss

Re: Navigating multiple tabs and result sets

Postby Serge » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Serge

Postby amosmoss » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 am

1. I'll try to explain. Suppose I have 3 connections. In the connection setting of each one, I can assign a tab color. Whenever I open a new SQL editor, It's tab will be colored by its connection color. This way, When all 3 connections are open with multiple scripts, It will be easy to differentiate between the tabs. I haven't seen anything like it in any other app. It's straight from my imagination :).
amosmoss

Postby Serge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Ah, this makes sense. I though you mean to assign colors somehow automatically :)
I think it would be a reasonable feature. Will be added in one of the next versions.
Serge

Postby amosmoss » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:36 am

Great. Thanks!
amosmoss

Postby amosmoss » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 am

Regarding the last feature,

I don't know how it will look, but the connection color could be also displayed as the connection name's background in the database Navigator panel and the script name in the Project - Dbeaver panel.
amosmoss

Return to Feature Requests