DB cell meta information: colors and comments

Feature requests and their debate

DB cell meta information: colors and comments

Postby dbster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 pm

In many spreadsheet programs, you can set the background colors of cells and add comments to cells. This is very helpful as additional information for data entry in the production process. Comments are added info anyway, and colors can be meaningful shorthands too (e.g. to review, changed, to delete, etc.).

It would be great if DBeaver supported comments and cell colors as meta information. The info would probably not go directly in the database, but maybe there could be a Dbeaver meta-info file for each database connection or table?
dbster

Re: DB cell meta information: colors and comments

Postby Serge » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi,

While regular spreadsheets always have some static grid content DBeaver deals with tables. And table's content is dynamic, moreover it may be huge (millions of rows). In theory I can add coloring and save this information (table name + primary key value + column name = color information) somewhere on disk. But it is quite complex feature and I am not sure it would be popular (in fact it is quite unusual usage of database tables).
Probably if more people will vote for this feature then we'll include it in one of next versions.

Thanks
Serge

Re: DB cell meta information: colors and comments

Postby dbster » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I understand your reasons and the complexities. Dbeaver is an already great tool for database management. My request is more about data entry and the workflow.
dbster

Return to Feature Requests