Non-blocking query results

Feature requests and their debate

Non-blocking query results

Postby fallingdown » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:29 pm

I am not sure exactly how the background queries are implemented, but it appears that if I have a long running query running in the background and then try to run another shorter query on the same connection, DBeaver will not return the results of the second shorter query until it returns the results of the longer running query. I can get around it by setting up a duplicate database connection.

Any way to have query results on the same connection returned asynchronously?

Thanks!

My environment:
DBeaver 1.6.1 windows 32 bit
Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit)
fallingdown

Re: Non-blocking query results

Postby Serge » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi,

Actually it is very dependent on JDBC driver you use and on kind of queries you execute.

Generally DBeaver allows simultaneous multiple queries execution. But single connection allows only one resultset transmission at the moment. So if your first query generates very big (or very slow) resultset and server started to send it back to client then no other query executions/resultset transmissions could be done untill server finish first resultset transmission. This is how TCP/IP sockets works. Some JDBC drivers (like Oracle) may use various workarounds to handle such problems but most of them (like MySQL) just don't care about it.

BTW in some cases (like table data export) DBeaver opens new isolated connection so it doesn't block other operations. Probably we can add this feature (execute query in isolated connection) in SQL editor. But there could be many side effects (especially in transaction mode) so actually this issue is not so simple as it may look.

Thanks!
Serge

Re: Non-blocking query results

Postby fallingdown » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 pm

That makes sense. If there was a feature to isolate each SQL Editor window/tab to separate connections, would that work?

Thanks for the prompt reply!
fallingdown

Return to Feature Requests