[DONE] Prompt for params one by one

Feature requests and their debate

[DONE] Prompt for params one by one

Postby davidf.76 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 am

Hello everybody!,
The way the parameters are prompted doesn't like me so much. It would be better choose in configuration if we prefer the current way or enter the parameters one by one in independent dialogs with focus in param field (ready to write). When you should input a lot of parameters for a query, and must run the same query with different values several times, it's faster typing one by one and pressing enter than filling one big dialog: It's faster not to use the mouse.
In other kind of queries the current system is good enough, and this is the reason to ask for provide a way to configure it.

Thanks and advance!!
davidf.76

Re: Prompt for params one by one

Postby codebling » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:42 pm

What if pressing enter on the big dialog autofocused on the next input field?
codebling

Postby davidf.76 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 am

Yes, I think it would be the same: Start focused on first field and jump to the next on enter.

Thanks in advance.
davidf.76

Postby Serge » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi,

I think we'll do it this way (Enter will move focus on next field). Showing all parameters in single dialog is convinient because user can see all of them at once.
This fix will be in the next version.

Thanks
Serge

Postby codebling » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:19 pm

davidf.76, I notice that we use save old values for parameters upon re-execution, so maybe it would be more appropriate to keep the Enter button as a keyboard shortcut for 'OK' (for people that rerun parameterised scripts), but what if we use Tab for this?

Serge, here is a patch (using Tab). It is almost certainly incorrect, since I still can't compile so testing is impossible. But it probably looks something like this.
Attachments
key_accels_parameter_query_dialog.zip
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
codebling

Postby Serge » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 am

Hi codebling!

Thanks again for your effort)
I've fixed parameters binding dialog - it'll use Enter key to shift to next parameter. Also first parameter editor will be focused when dialog opens. So, generally, user just has to enter parameter value and press Enter until it enter all values. After last parameter is entered Enter will submit all parameters. For me it looks pretty convinient.

Please check the attachment - it contains brief build instructions. BTW - may be you want to join the team? :) Please write me on serge@jkiss.org if you have any thoughts about it.
Attachments
build.txt
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
Serge

Postby codebling » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey! actually the instructions are much simpler than I thought they would be! I would definitely like to join the team! Maybe I will continue doing small fixes and features for now while I learn the code. I will email you !
codebling

Postby Serge » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 am

Sorry for silence during last week, I was in vacation.
I think there could be problems with build if you don't have access to version control system. Anyway we'll open public access to in nearest days.

And I'm waiting for your email :)
Serge

Re: [DONE] Prompt for params one by one

Postby davidf.76 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:28 am

Thank you very much!!!
Now works like a charm and let us go faster re-executing queries......
davidf.76

Return to Feature Requests