[DONE] Saving of query variables binding

Feature requests and their debate

[DONE] Saving of query variables binding

Postby EugeneJF » Tue May 22, 2012 3:33 pm

It's very convenient that DBEaver has a special dialog to bind query variables. But it forget inputed parameter values so I had to type them every time. I have queries with a lot of parameters and this thing annoys me a lot. Could you implement the parameters values saving?
Thanks!
EugeneJF

Re: Saving of query variables binding

Postby Serge » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 am

Hi!

I agree, we need to remember previous parameter values. But it is not very obvious how to do it.
If parameter has some name (like :paramX) then we can remember it and set previous value in all queries which has parameter with the same name.
But if parameter has no name (?) or has only index (:1, :2, etc) then we can remember its value only for certain query. Then, if you will change your query just a little bit (e.g. add some extra symbol) - it will be another query and all saved parameter values won't be used.

I has to think about this issue..

Thanks!
Serge

Postby EugeneJF » Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 am

Hmm... you are right. But I think "remember parameter with the same name for all queries" isn't a good thing. Saved parameters should be linked to one query only. The question is how to identify a query. It's easy when it's alone in a script but not so easy when it isn't so. I think you need to use any algorithm of similar texts recognition, something like Shingles algorithm.
EugeneJF

Postby Vrokolos » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:27 am

Please make it so that dbeaver remembers all named variables for all tabs ( you don't need per script or per tab values really) like what TOAD for Oracle does. Remembers the values even after restart.
You should make variable binding distinct too. If I have 3 times the named variable ":year" in the sql, you should only ask for a single value for all three times :year is encountered.

This is probably the only thing that I miss from TOAD.

Also how can I bind a key to describe object under cursor ? (F4 does this on TOAD, ctrl-click does this on dbeaver)
Vrokolos

Postby Serge » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:59 am

Hi!

Yes, I think saving named variables is a good solution. Value for variables without name (like :1 or ?) will be asked each time.
This feature will be included in next version (1.6)

At the moment there is no shortcut for "object describe" action and it is accessible only with ctrl-click. However I'll add this feature in todo.

Thanks!
Serge

Return to Feature Requests