Multiple instances open

Feature requests and their debate

Multiple instances open

Postby raqua » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 am

Hi,

I would like to have open multiple DBeaver sessions, each pointing to a different database. Right now, when I try to do it, I get warning about workspace locking and possible corruption. I know, I can have multiple connections open in one window, but this does not work well with me as I keep on mixing them and executing stuff on a wrong DB instance. I would like to have separate window open, which I could even have side to side etc....

Thanks for considering that.
raqua

Re: Multiple instances open

Postby Serge » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Advice: to avoid connections mixing you can use connection types (can be set in connection properties, page General). You could have different editor colors for different connections. It is much harder to mix things of different colors ;)
Solution:
It is possible to open two instances of DBeaver. But you need to have two separate workspaces (different set of connections, scripts, etc).
You can run any number of instances by passing "-data <path>" command line parameter to dbeaver.exe. <path> is a path on your local file system where you want to keep extra workspace.

PS Default workspace lives in $USER_HOME/.dbeaver directory.
Serge

Postby raqua » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I am already using the colors, but I use them to distinguish among types of connections (local, staging, prod). However this does not help, when I work with 10 production databases (and more staging/dev/local).

Making separate launch script for each of them is rather impractical, as you would surely agree. Would it not be possible for DBeaver to seamlessly open new instance with separate workspace instead of giving the warning message it gives atm.? I do not use any saved scripts etc., but maybe that can be moved out of the workspace .... I don't know, just brainstorming here.

Thanks anyway.
raqua

Postby Serge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am

I agree, using separate workspaces isn't very convenient.
If you need just two separate windows you could try to use multi-window mode. In main menu "Window" click on "Open in new window". You will get the same workspace but in a different window.
Honestly this mode isn't well tested but basically it should work.
Serge

Postby raqua » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:30 pm

That is almost what I would like to see. Except that I would like to be able to open new window per connection, so the other open connections will not be available in that particular window and I would like to see the connection name in the window heading, so when I look at my taskbar, I can see which window I am choosing.
raqua

Return to Feature Requests