Status of DB2 support?

Feature requests and their debate

Status of DB2 support?

Postby titou10 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 am

Hi
We are using only DB2 as DBMS and we would like to have DB2 native support in DBeaver.
Q:
- What is the status of the DB2 native support?
- Do you already have some code for DB2 in DBeaver somewhere?
- Maybe I could help writing this code if need. What would be the step for me to develop this extension?
Thx
titou10

Re: Status of DB2 support?

Postby Serge » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello,

Long story short: there is no special DB2 support in DBeaver. It had to be done almost a year ago but still nothing :(
The only DB2-related code in DBeaver is configuration of Generic driver for DB2 UDB and DB2 zOS.

I can't say when DB2 extension will be added, in fact I'm the only active developer and I have no time for everything.
If you have some time you can spend on this issue - please write me on serge@jkiss.org. Probably I can implement extension by myself but I need a lot of information of about system schemas and metadata structure in DB2 - I have no time to learn all this stuff.

Thanks
Serge

Re: Status of DB2 support?

Postby titou10 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Serge, I know how it is, being myself involved in some other FOSS project (Mostly JavaEE, CDI extensions..) and handling such a project must represent a lot of time and dedication!
In the meantime, I just started to explore your code and created a db2 plugin (In eclipse 4.3), cloned from your Oracle plugin (that BTW seems to cover a lot of Oracle DB management aspects. That is a lot of work, WOW!). For now it displays table names, tablespaces and sequences info (let say it's version 0.0000001 ..lol).
My current first goal is to display DB2 base objects (tables _basic types for now_, views, sequences, triggers..) and navigate though them.
If I can come with some acceptable code in a decently short time, I'll see where to go from there with you.
Also depending on how it goes, I could add some more "common db2 administrative commands" (runstats, reorg, export, import ...) but I don't think it's a good idea to (re-)develop what is already proposed for free by IBM for administrating DB2 database, I mean IBM Data Studio: /
What I don't like in IBM DataStudio is that it is really, really "DBA oriented", not at all "dev oriented". For example, to have a quick view of a table or entering a simple SQL statement and browse through the results is a real pain in DS IMHO
Again, I don't know what will result from this, so please don't have to much expectations for now..
WDYT?
titou10

Return to Feature Requests