Progress bar on loading table

Note: please leave bug reports and feature requests on GitHub

Progress bar on loading table

Postby steal3rd » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:43 pm

I have a number of tables on a SQL Server 2008 database. When I open the tables, the results load right away, but the progress bar indicating that some number of rows were fetched, in some number of seconds, counts on for anywhere from 20 to 70 seconds.

The tables have anywhere from 750,000 to 2,500,000 rows. If I click the cancel button the progress stops and the table is usable. The behavior isn't causing any adverse effect on anything, except that nothing can happen with the table until the progress is finished.

The time the progress bar runs for would seem to be related to the size of the table. At least in row count. The issue doesn't create any entries in the Error Log.
steal3rd

Re: Progress bar on loading table

Postby Serge » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:13 pm

When you open a table (or execute a custom query) DBeaver fetches only first 200 (by default) rows.
You can change this limit in preferences or right in main toolbar (near to database selector).

DBeaver never read all rows. If you need to extract all rows from table - use Data Export wizard.
Serge

Postby steal3rd » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 pm

I should have clarified that this is just "opening" the table and the standard 200 records is all that are being fetched. I also should have thought to include a screen capture of what I'm experiencing. So, along with that, I have a screen capture of my settings for results sets.

I realize this is most likely an issue with my particular setup, so I'm really just looking for any feedback to go off of.
Attachments
DBeaver Results Settings.png
DBeaver results settings.
DBeaver Results Settings.png (65.86 KiB) Viewed 29363 times
DBeaver Fetch Progress.png
DBeaver fetch progress.
DBeaver Fetch Progress.png (26.47 KiB) Viewed 29363 times
steal3rd

Postby rrsolver » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 pm

I would like to report that I've had the same issue while using vertica. (Note this only occurs on tables with lots of rows)
Here is what happens if look at a table's data: (These records loaded in less than 19seconds I just couldn't screenshot fast enough)
200_Records_19s.PNG
200_Records_19s.PNG (56.4 KiB) Viewed 29350 times

Here my screen 4 minutes later....
200_Records_255s.PNG
200_Records_255s.PNG (18.85 KiB) Viewed 29350 times

My attempt to cancel the loading process....
200_Records_273s_Cancelled.PNG
200_Records_273s_Cancelled.PNG (20.63 KiB) Viewed 29350 times

The moment where I realize canceling isn't going to work either...
(well the attachment limit is 3 but I have another screen shot that shows the second count at 330 with dbeaver still locked out)

Ultimately the only thing I can do is use task manager to close dbeaver and kill my vertica sessions using another tool.
rrsolver

Postby Serge » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:19 am

I can't reproduce it but I think I knows what causes such problems.
Check option "Preferences->Common->Metadata->Show row count for tables". Try to turn it off and work with these huge tables.

DBeaver fetches row count when you open table editor or if you have Properties view open. In case of very big table select count(*) could work for a very-very long time so it's better to turn this feature off.
I think that progress hangs in the very end because if you query this table for the first time DBeaver reads some metadata information for this table in the very end. And this metadata read is blocked by count calculation process.

PS In case of MySQL, Oracle and DB2 DBeaver uses statistics to obtain row count - it works very fast and there is no need to disable row count calculation.
PS2 You can disable row count only for particular connections.
Serge

Postby steal3rd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:22 pm

That was an excellent suggestion, and I hadn't thought of trying that. Unfortunately, it didn't help, but I did notice the Read data progress in the lower right corner of my window this time. I included a screen capture.

As an additional experiment, I tried unticking the Preferences | Common | Metadata | Open separate connection for metadata read as well. With this box unselected, no data rendered until all the data reading was finished.

I'm sorry I don't have more to go on. The issue isn't preventing me from using the application, but it is new behavior since about 2 releases ago.

As always, great work! This is a fantastic program.
Attachments
DBeaver Read Data.png
DBeaver read data.
DBeaver Read Data.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 29335 times
steal3rd

Postby Serge » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Could you open "Background Tasks" view and "Query Manager" view and check what DBeaver is actually doing at that moment?
Serge

Postby steal3rd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:19 pm

I have attached a screen capture for each of the Background Tasks view and the Error Log view.

Like I said, this isn't preventing me from using the application, I was really just hoping for any information from someone who may know more about this than me. I'm happy to provide whatever I can in the event that it helps anyone. For example, if there's a specific log file I can provide, I'd be happy to.
Attachments
Error Log.png
Error log.
Error Log.png (7.42 KiB) Viewed 29334 times
Background Tasks.png
Background tasks.
Background Tasks.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 29334 times
steal3rd

Postby rrsolver » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Hey Serge,

As steal mentioned the row count option doesn't help. Additionally When I open the properties tab the row count populates quickly 2-3 seconds.

Looking at the query manager (The color scheme isn't great and I'm not sure how to change this any ideas? I'm using the dark theme btw).. it looks like the problem is that the query used is
"SELECT x.* FROM prodblitz.CORE_SESSION_END x" There isn't a limit on this query and thus it keeps running even though its only downloading 200 results.

Also for reference I've always had this issue (whereas steal is reporting it as new) and my click path is table properties>data tab. I also reported the issue Here under issue 3 in November. Although I would run into the same issue if I ran the query SELECT x.* FROM prodblitz.CORE_SESSION_END x from within dbeaver. (This isn't a problem if I include LIMIT X at the end of my query).

I've attached screenshots for both background tasks and the query manager.
Query Manager
QueryManager.png
QueryManager.png (29.72 KiB) Viewed 29332 times

Background Tasks
BackgroundTasks.png
BackgroundTasks.png (28.05 KiB) Viewed 29332 times

Background Tasks Cancel attempted (Again Cancelling doesn't work and I have close my db sessions with another tool/connection to get dbeaver to respond normally again)
BackgroundTasksCancellRequested.png
BackgroundTasksCancellRequested.png (28.9 KiB) Viewed 29332 times

Also thanks again for making this great tool and being so active in response to bug reports.
rrsolver

Postby steal3rd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Serge, I must apologize. Previously, you asked for a screen capture of my Query Manager, and I gave you my Error Log instead. I have attached a screen capture of my Query Manager now, but it matches the example that rrsolver submitted.

NOTE: I experience the same white text on yellow background in the query manager as rrsolver as well, since I too use the dark theme. I hovered my mouse over an entry and the rollover made the screen capture easier to read.
Attachments
Query Manager.png
Query manager.
Query Manager.png (13.91 KiB) Viewed 29313 times
steal3rd

Next

Return to Support